ENGLISH NAMES FOR FRUITS IN NIGERIA YOU DIDN’T KNOW
Growing up in our country Nigeria, we all have come across and tasted some great fruits and even called them names that weren’t assigned to them initially and were not globally recognized.
But due to the fact that their names were changed and replaced with traditional names or names invented by our forefathers and carried into our time, we have erased their actual name from our memory and some of us don’t even know their globally recognized names.
Some of these popularly misnamed fruits include:
- Black Velvet Tamarind – it is often called Icheku(in Igbo), Awin(Yoruba), Tsamiyar kurm(Hausa) and licky licky(pidgin).
- Tropical Almonds – commonly known as “Fruit” in southern part of Nigeria
- Tiger Nut – This fruits is often called Aki Hausa in the southeast and Ofio in the southwest.
- Shawa shop – This is one fruit commonly misspelt and mispronounced too, it is called Sour Sop.
- African Star Apple – often called Agbalumo(in Yoruba language) and Udara(in Igbo language).
These are just a few from the thousands we commonly call wrongly. Drop yours in the comment section let’s spread the word.